Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Out with the Old and In with the New...

You know it seems just like yesterday when Jake and Jared had a toy replica of a John Deere combine. OMG those two boys would combine the carpet in my house all day long. Jake could even imitate the sound of a combine pretty darn good. Well today is wheat harvest time and Jake is harvesting in the real thing. It might not be the combine of his dreams but I'm sure I can see a smile on his face with this machine. It is hard to believe that our forefathers used sickles and stacking grain in bundles all by hand. Today all we have to do is sit and listen to your favorite radio station in the air-conditioned cab and get about 40-60 acres harvested a day.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you updated your blog- its about time! (JK I haven't updated mine in months) The combine looks nice- It doesn't look like Jake is overdoing it. I can't believe it is already harvest time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those glorious grain fields! I miss them. That combine is a far cry from the one our dads used when we were growing up to, and do you remember the thrasher? I had to get clear out of town when they started that thing up! To this day I can still see the yellow cloud that hung over that thing and our dad's feeding endless amounts of hay into one end while filling sacks with alfalfa seeds from the other end. I thought that dad would forever be covered in chaff. What a difference a shower would make! They worked so hard back then. I am glad to see some things have made it a little bit easier or should I say more "comfortable".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's combining season already! Alan says it's a dang nice combine. "Lucky!" We will have to have Jake take us for a ride.

    ReplyDelete